VSG Update: Three Days Post-Op

I had a plan to do regular pre-op updates. Then I got distracted with two new jobs and surgery being delayed. Even after I received a new date, I was a bit cynical about it actually happening. Maybe some superstition crept in at that point and I didn't post because I felt I'd jinx myself.

But the deed is finally done, and here's a rundown of how my past couple of weeks have gone...

Pre-Op Liquid Diet

From May 28th to June 8, I was on a liquid diet. During that time, I lost 21 pounds. I thought the liquid diet was going to be difficult, but it actually wasn't. I had moments where I'd argue with myself and try to justify a cheat meal or two (one particular argument lasted nearly three hours), but mostly, I just drank lots of soups, protein drinks, and water.

I also have a bit of an ice addiction, so I went to the local shaved ice place and got a large shaved ice with sugar-free flavors. That right there is what helped me make it through the two weeks.

The Day Before Surgery

I was a blathering mess. I'd not been able to get ahold of my son, and I started worrying that things would go horribly wrong and I'd never get to talk to him again. Emotions run high when you're up against such a major life change - and being a single mom, I had even more nerves since I didn't want to leave my son behind.

Luckily, I eventually got to speak to him, and between a really long video chat with him and some calming time drawing a mandala, I finally calmed and centered myself.

The Day of Surgery 

It was pretty simple. I checked in, I got taken to a private room and decked out in my fashionable gown, IV started, vitals checked, and tucked in to watch TV for a while until my time came. I had an 11AM surgery (which ran behind due to hernia repairs from the person before me). Then I spoke with the doctor (and asked him nicely to take pictures of my insides, which he did!) and the anesthesiologist. Finally, I was wheeled off to the OR. I'm not sure when they gave me the loopy meds, but I don't remember much of the trip to the OR.

After surgery, I was held in recovery for about an extra hour. I guess I wanted to keep napping. I don't remember  a whole lot in their either.

Eventually, I was taken to a different private room (fancy digs, this) where I tried to keep my eyes open longer than 10 minutes. It was a fight for sure.

I did have a minor complication that kept me in the hospital an extra night: The pain meds made me throw up, and the nausea meds weren't working well, so every time I threw up, I aggravated my stomach and esophagus, causing them to swell. The kept me an extra day just to get the type and dosage of meds correct and give the swelling a chance to go down.

I didn't have any hernias, my liver looked great, and everything went as planned, otherwise.

Days 1 and 2 After Surgery

Pretty simple: I slept a LOT. Especially once they got me on meds that worked for me.

On the second day, they released me, and woo-boy let me tell you, it's like being released from the hospital with your first newborn. WHERE'S MY OPERATOR MANUAL? HOW DO I DO THIS? WHAT IF I SCREW IT UP?

That is the absolute best way to describe it. You have this new stomach and you're not quite sure how it works (except in theory), so you just have to muddle along, make sure it's fed and watered, and don't do anything stupid to harm it.;

When I got home, I immediately took my pain and nausea meds and then slept. Then I woke up, tried to get some fluids down, took my meds again, and slept some more.

Day 3 After Surgery

And here we are. At the close of the third day after my surgery. I napped some today, but not nearly as much. I got a lot of fluids in, though not as much (nor as much protein) as I need. I'm working up to those quickly, though. The last thing I want is to be rehospitalized for dehydration.

One thing I'm not doing as well as I should is walking. I've not had a lot of pain due to the gas they use to expand my stomach, but I'm having some terrible back pain, making walking a real chore. Still, I try to get up where I can and pace a little so that I'm not doing anything at all.

All-in-all, I'm feeling pretty good. I was able to not take my pain and nausea meds all day, but I'm taking them shortly to help me sleep through the night (that big incision the stomach comes out through is pretty painful). And the whole sip-sip thing is true. Sip all the time to get your fluids and such in. With my extra napping, it's been impossible so far, but I'm only three days out and about halfway to my water and protein goals, so I'm happy with that progress.

Anyhow, to close, no regrets, feeling good, and excited about my healthier future! I'll probably updated again next week after my post-op appointment with my doctor.

Comments

  1. sounds like it's time for a water and protien shake lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts