VSG Update: Six-Month Follow-Up

It's been a half-a-year since my surgery! Well, three days shy of it for nitpicky folks out there. But I had time tonight to write an update, so tonight, we celebrate.

Anyhow, first, the stats:

  • Highest Weight: 320 lbs.
  • Pre-Op Liquid Diet Weight: 314 lbs.
  • Surgery Day Weight: 292 lbs.
  • Current Weight: 210 lbs.
  • Overall inches lost: 86"
  • Body Fat % (Navy Calculation): 40% (down from 56%)
I've met a lot of non-scale and scale victories over the past six months, too:
  • I've dropped six pants sizes (26 to 16).
  • I've dropped six shirt sizes (4x to L).
  • I can wear normal-width boots.
  • I can fit in alpine slides and roller coasters.
  • I can walk all day (at the zoo, amusement parks, etc.) and not feel tired.
  • I've ridden up to 12 miles in single trips on my bike.
  • I can do a tripod headstand in yoga!
  • I've surpassed the following weight milestones:
    • 2005 high pregnancy weight (297)
    • 2009 college start weight (260)
    • 2004 pregnancy start weight (235)
    • 2003 wedding weight (218)
    • 1998 Navy discharge weight (212)
  • Neck and chest measurements today are at the same as when I went into the Navy in 1995 at 160 lbs.
I would say I feel like a new person, but the truth is, I finally feel like me. I've been in relationships where I've tried to be a chameleon and change for that person. All healthy relationships show growth of the people within it, but I was changing everything about who I was for relationships. And that's not only for romantic relationships - I changed myself for my relationship with food as well.

And that's changed, on both fronts. Now, I don't let food or people dictate who I am. I am me, finally, for the first time in ages.

I always thought I was being me even when I was at my highest, but that's not true. The real me loves going out into nature, or on active vacations, or getting on a roller coaster, or riding a bike (or horse). The real me loves to dance and loves yoga. The real me missed those things so much and is so glad to be able to get back to them again.

I'm thankful for my weight loss and the opportunity the VA gave me with the surgery. I've gotten my life back in so many ways. I've gotten ME back. I've missed me. Welcome back!

I feel like that last sentence is a good place to stop, but I wanted to add something quickly about goals going forward... well, any of my goals, really. When I say I have all of these weight-related goals, I really am just recognizing them as I meet them. I'm at a very comfortable place with my body, and I'm not pushing myself to meet these goals. Not yet anyhow. I'm just living a healthy life and seeing where it takes me.

I did finally join a gym (the YMCA), but not for the gym part of it. I love swimming and yoga, so I'm signing up for two yoga classes a week, maybe a Zumba class (since I love dancing so much), and then I'll also have the ability to swim as often as I like. The only time I can see myself in the gym itself is if I want to do some cycling since it's winter and doing it outside right now is for people much more hardcore than me.

And speaking of other goals, I'll end this long update with some of my upcoming goals for the next six months:
  • ONEDERLAND!
  • Get into a full headstand in yoga.
  • Get into Crow and Scorpion in yoga (and more inversions overall)
  • Get down to a "Normal" weight (140s), which just so happens to be below my 6th-grade weight (156 lbs), which is my final "personal history"-type weight goal.
Six months. 61-70 pounds to go. And a lot of yoga practice.

I think these are going to be some tough goals to meet in the next six months, but I'm going to keep on keeping on and see where my healthier life takes me!

Comments

Popular Posts